A WOMAN was left wheelchair-bound after having her NOSE pierced. Layane Dias said she thought nothing of it when her new piercing bled and became s
A WOMAN was left wheelchair-bound after having her NOSE pierced.
Layane Dias said she thought nothing of it when her new piercing bled and became swollen.
The then 20-year-old had it done in July 2018.
But after dismissing the swelling, Layane began to notice serious pain in her legs.
“I thought it was a spot, but it caused a fever,” she said.
“I treated it myself, I put creams on it and a week later it disappeared.”
But soon after the spot disappeared the pain got worse in her legs.
Doctors were left baffled, unable to give the 20-year-old, from Brazil, a diagnosis.
Tests soon showed Layane was suffering a nasty bacterial infection, detecting Staphylococcus aureus in her bloodstream.
Medics asked if she had noticed any cuts on her nose, the area of the body where the bacteria is typically found.
She told them she’d had a recent nose piercing.
The pain in her legs soon developed into numbness in her entire body, which stopped Layane walking.
She was taken to the Hospital Institute de Base in the Brazilian capital Brazilia.
There an MRI scan showed Layane had 500 millilitres of pus compressing three vertebrae in her spinal cord.
She was rushed into theatre at the hospital for emergency surgery.
Her surgeon, Oswaldo Riberio Marquez, said he had never seen this bacterial infection caused by a piercing in his 15-year medical career.
The emergency surgery managed to stop the infection spreading but Layane has been left without the use of her legs.
Mr Marquez said: “The pus could have caused an infection which may have been fatal.
“When the liquid was removed, her marrow decompressed and this prevented her condition from worsening.”
Layane was released from the hospital two months later and was shocked to learn she would be in a wheelchair for life.
She said: “I was devastated. At the start, it was a very sad situation.
“My life changed a lot but I felt happy when I left the hospital as I was not there anymore.
“I have met other young people in wheelchairs and I have seen that I can be happy like this [in a wheelchair].
MOST READ IN HEALTH
“Now I’m doing exercise like playing basketball and handball.”
Alessandra Romiti, a dermatologist consulted by local media, said that issues with piercings usually come from the place where the piercing was carried out.
She added: “The patient should take care that the place is clean and avoid any risk of contamination.”
It is unclear where Layane had her piercing done.
We pay for your stories! Email us at email@example.com or call 0207 782 4368. You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours