BREXIT has dominated the news agenda for nearly three years – and now one of Hollywood’s biggest names is getting stuck in. Brexit: The
BREXIT has dominated the news agenda for nearly three years – and now one of Hollywood’s biggest names is getting stuck in.
Brexit: The Uncivil War is a new drama from Channel 4 which will focus on the EU Referendum of 2016 with Sherlock star Benedict Cumberbatch in the lead role…
When is Brexit: The Uncivil War on Channel 4?
Brexit: The Uncivil War is has divided Britain all over again – as Remainers fume with anger over loss while Leave viewers claim the drama was funded by the EU.
The drama is written by award-winning playwright James Graham.
In July 2018 Graham reported that the script had been stoken and leaked online.
He wrote on Twitter: Disappointingly a very early draft of my Brexit TV drama was stolen and leaked to various people to read and now comment online.
“My fellow writers on here will know what first drafts are like as you privately play around and test ideas. It is not the script we are shooting.”
Who is the cast of Brexit: The Uncivil War?
Benedict Cumberbatch is heading up the cast of this political drama.
He will play Dominic Cummings who led the successful “Leave Europe” Brexit campaign.
The rest of the cast are…
- Rory Kinnear – Sir Craig Oliver, David Cameron’s communications chief and a former BBC editor
- John Heffernan – Matthew Elliott, British political strategist who was the chief executive of Vote Leave
- Lee Boardman – Arron Banks, the controversial millionaire businessman who helped run Leave.EU, a rival Brexit campaign group
- Richard Goulding – Boris Johnson, the now Foreign Secretary was the biggest star of the Brexit campaign
- Oliver Maltman – Michael Gove, one of David Cameron’s closest friends ended up sacrificing his friendship with the PM to back Brexit
- Paul Ryan – Nigel Farage, the former Ukip leader was the frontman for Leave.EU but had a fraught relationship with Vote Leave
- Liz White – Mary Wakefield, a journalist and the wife of Dominic Cummings
More on TV
What is Brexit: The Uncivil War about?
Brexit: The Uncivil War will look at the battle between Remain and Leave, as the rival political campaigns fought up and down the country as the UK voted on whether to quit the EU or not.
It will focus on the rival campaigns and the men and women who ran them.
Channel 4 described it as, “Unpacking the anatomy of the historic, high-stakes campaign to win the hearts and minds of the British people, this one-off drama set primarily during the referendum will, for the first time, explore the myriad tactics employed to swing one of the most surprising referendum results in living memory.
“Venturing from high street campaigning to top level political influence, and then stepping even further into the darker corners of the internet, Brexit sets out not to be an analysis of who was right and who was wrong, but rather is the story of how it happened, and why.”