The Border Force Marine Command were contacted following the sightings of the migrants close to Hastings on Tuesday morning. A Maritime and Coastguard Agency spokesman said: “We have been assisting Border Force with two incidents off the Kent coast this morning. HM Coastguard is committed to safeguarding life around the seas and coastal areas of this country.
‘Record number’ of migrant boats spotted off UK coast
“We are only concerned with preservation of life, rescuing those in trouble and bringing them safely back to shore, where they will be handed over to the relevant partner emergency services or authorities.”
The passengers have been taken aboard the HMC Seeker and they are still at sea.
Earlier in July 42 suspected illegal immigrants were detained in Kent after they crossed the English Channel.
Home Secretary Sajid Javid said of the incident: “The number of migrants crossing the Channel overnight is deeply concerning and I’m receiving regular updates on the situation.
“Those who choose to make this dangerous journey across one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world are putting their lives in grave danger – and I will continue to do all I can to stop them.”
More to follow…