THERESA May risked a diplomatic row Monday night by telling Egypt that a flight ban to Sharm El Sheikh must stay in place.
Hopes were raised that the popular tourist route would reopen after a terrorist attack three years ago.
Theresa May has said the flight ban between the UK and Sharm El Sheikh will remain[/caption]
Egypt’s President al-Sisi discussed the move with the PM during talks in the margins of the EU-Arab summit he hosted yesterday.
But Mrs May said: “In terms of our relationship with Egypt, it is strong in a number of areas.
“We are working together to address the shared challenges of terrorism.
“On the position of flights, our position is clear. The security of British nationals is our top priority.
“Of course we understand the importance of the issue for Egypt, and while we haven’t yet concluded that it’s right to lift the restriction on flights, we continue to keep that under review.”
All UK flights to beach resort Sharm El Sheikh were banned in November 2015.
MOST READ IN POLITICS
It followed the bombing of a Russian airliner which killed all 224 people on board.
The Islamic State group claimed it was behind the attack.
Sharm El Sheikh previously attracted hundreds of thousands of visitors from the UK each year, making it an important resort for airlines and holiday companies.
Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi discussed the flight ban with Mrs May as he hosted the EU-Arab summit[/caption]
- GOT a news story? RING us on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAIL email@example.com