The potentially deadly hazards in YOUR handbag that could pose a serious health risk to toddlers

0
16


MANY mums toss things they need into their handbags without thinking too much about it.

But a first aid expert has revealed that many everyday items could actually cause serious harm to young kids – either from choking, strangulation or poisoning.

Facebook

First aid expert Rachael Waia said that every item in this handbag could pose a risk[/caption]

Tiny Hearts First Aid‘s co-founder and national training manager, Rachael Waia, analysed a handbag with 16 everyday items.

According to the expert, every single one of them could pose a serious threat to a child.

The handbag contained items such as Bonjela, an iPhone charging wire, a hairbrush and chewing gum.

Rachael pointed out that the loose coins at the bottom of the bag can be a choking risk for kids, with each size being a hazard for different age groups.

Getty – Contributor

Many handbags include items that could be a risk, including chewing gum, coins and elastic bands[/caption]

She added to the MailOnline: “The silver and gold in the coins can also be a poisoning risk, as can be the amount of germs that sit on our coins.”

Meanwhile the lids on the Bonjela, an ulcer soother, and highlighter don’t typically come with safety caps, and can also be a choking hazard.

The headphones and charging cable can cause strangulation if little ones get their hands on them.

Also posing a risk of getting caught round a youngster’s neck, wrists, fingers or toes is hair from the hair brush, as well the elastic band.

Meanwhile batteries can burn the airways – including those found in electronic car keys.

What items can cause hidden dangers in your handbag?

  • A coin can block an infant’s airways and cause illnes with germs
  • Chewing gum can cause suffocation and is a choking hazard
  • Chocolate may cause allergies or choking
  • Headphones and charging wires can cause suffocation.
  • Bonjela caps, pen lids and highlighter lids are a choking hazard
  • Paracetamol and ibuprofen can poison a young child
  • The hair on a hairbrush and elastic bands can cut off circulation to tiny wrists, fingers and toes 
  • Batteries can be both choked on or can poison a child, including those in electronic car keys
  • Batteries in car keys can cause burns to the airways if swallowed

Rachael added: “The chewing gum is a problem too, because most children don’t know to chew it and so it becomes quite gummy in their mouth and can easily cover the top of their throat.”

And medication such as ibuprofen can accidentally poison a child or block their airway if it gets stuck in their throat.

She also explained that chocolate can look like a tasty snack for kids, but could be a choking hazard or even cause an allergic reaction depending on the ingredients.

You should call 999 if your child has swallowed an item you believe is dangerous.


We previously shared how kids as young as FOUR taught about relationships and internet dangers in sex education shake-up.

Abd a concerned mum said Mini Eggs ‘mustn’t be given to kids under 4’ and should always be cut in HALF.

And if your little ones have decided to draw all over your furniture, then check out this mum’s tip for getting pen marks out of cushions.

//players.brightcove.net/5067014667001/default_default/index.min.js



LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here