Student ‘followed home’ near where Libby Squire vanished has flat ransacked by ‘thieves’


A TERRIFIED student was followed home by thieves who ransacked her flat less than a mile from where tragic Libby Squire was last seen.

Millie Connell, 20, is now scared to go back to university in Hull after her bedroom was raided while she cooked dinner.

Millie Connell is scared to return to university after her home was raided
MEN Media
Her home is less than a mile from where Libby Squire, 21, was last seen alive on January 31

She believes the thief “followed her home” and waited for her to leave her bedroom before swiping her handbag, purse, laptop and folders.

Millie’s flat is less than a mile from 21-year-old Libby’s student home – where she was dropped off by a taxi on the night she vanished.

Libby’s body was pulled from the Humber Estuary last week with cops now treating her death as a homicide.

A Polish butcher remains under investigation over her disappearance but no other arrests have been made.


Millie said: “I decided to drive home from the library because of everything that is going on at the moment.

“I got the nearest parking spot possible to my flat and I quickly ran down the dark alleyway to get to the stairs leading up to the flat.

“I’m always on guard when walking down the anyway, I really don’t like it because all sorts of people hang about down there, but this time I just kept my head down and got into the flat as soon as possible.

“I went into my bedroom to drop my bags off, and went straight to the kitchen to start cooking dinner. About half an hour later my stuff was gone.”


Millie now believes the thieves waited for her to switch her bedroom light off so they knew it was empty before running in and grabbing her bag.

She originally thought her bag was lost until she checked her bank account and realised her card had been used three times in 30 minutes.

The student said: “I just felt so scared I went straight home to Mansfield.

“I don’t want to be in that room knowing someone has followed me.”


Police confirmed they appealing for information following the break in on Monday.

A spokesperson said: “We received a report of a sneak-in burglary at a flat on Newland Avenue in Hull that happened around 8pm on Monday 25 March.

“A handbag containing a purse and cash along with a laptop was stolen while a woman was in the flat at the time.

“She wasn’t hurt but was left upset. We’d like anyone with any information to contact us.”

Humberside Police are not linking Millie’s break in to any other ongoing investigation.

Libby was pulled from the Humber Estuary last Wednesday by the RNLI, with police confirming the next day the body was hers.

An inquest opened and adjourned yesterday revealed her body was so badly decomposed it had to be identified by fingerprints.

Millie believes she was followed home
MEN Media
She was cooking dinner when the thieves entered her home
MEN Media

PA:Press Association

Libby’s body was recovered on Wednesday[/caption]



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here