Strictly Come Dancing suffers huge setback as HRVY breaks silence about having coronavirus

    27
    0

    Strictly Come Dancing has suffered its first setback after contestant HRVY revealed he has tested positive for coronavirus, which was also confirmed by a BBC spokesperson. The 21-year-old singer broke the news that he had contracted the dreaded illness on Thursday night despite showing no symptoms, and has now gone into isolation.

    Taking to Twitter, he admitted he was “already super bored”.

    He wrote: “Hi, wasn’t gonna worry anyone and say anything but now the story’s out, I have coronavirus, I’m all good, no symptoms, just isolating for the next 10 days. Already super bored so prepare yourselves for my Tik toks.”(sic)

    The YouTube star, whose real name is Harvey Cantwell, has been in contact with other members of cast and crew while promoting the show alongside fellow contestants Jason Bell, Maisie Smith and Clara Amfo, who are now also being tested.

    He is said to be quarantining until 8 October, just four days before the pairings take place via video link.

    If he does not recover in time, he will be forced to withdraw from the competition.

    A spokesperson for Strictly Come Dancing said: “We can confirm that a member of the Strictly team has tested positive for coronavirus and they are now self-isolating at home following the latest government guidelines.

    “We have rigorous protocols in place to manage Covid-19 as the safety of all those involved in the production is paramount.”

    Speaking to The Sun, a source said: “This is the last thing Strictly wanted.

    “They’ve been jumping through hoops since day one to make sure everything is done safely and with as minimal risk to the cast and crew as possible.

    “But with just ten days until the celebrities are introduced to their partners, this is the worst-case scenario.”

    They continued to explain that BBC bosses gave “scrapped” replacements this year to fill the spot if a celebrity falls ill.

    “With a crunched-down run, there is no room for error,” they added.

    The BBC have laid out strict rules for this year’s show to prevent coronavirus knocking on the door, with Executive Producer Sarah James explained the stringent measures to Express.co.uk and other press: “Unfortunately if you receive a positive test that means that you wouldn’t be able to continue in the competition.

    “Obviously, according to government guidelines, if you receive a positive test you have to isolate for two weeks and that would rule them out of the show.”

    The cast face twice weekly tests, with the first reportedly taking place on Monday earlier this week, when HRVY received the bad news.

    The set will be deep cleaned on a daily basis, with everyone entering the studio adhering to the strict social distancing rules and a self-declaration form will need to be signed by everyone stating they are COVID-19 free.

    In regards to hair and makeup, James revealed each couple will be assigned their own artists to avoid mixing with too many people.

    It all sounds incredibly complicated, but she reassured that the plan will work.

    This year’s Strictly isn’t going to be like anything we’ve seen in revise series, and BBC entertainment controller Kate Phillips, admitted that it has been the “toughest show to get going”.

    “As I’m sure you all agree, Strictly is the toughest show to get going under the current climate, but I cannot tell you how impressed we’ve been with the work BBC Studios have been doing,” she told The Mirror.

    “Not just to make sure that it is safe for everyone taking part in the show but also the inventiveness that we’ve seen. As challenges have emerged, new ideas have emerged and it really is a case of necessity is the mother of all invention.”

    Strictly Come Dancing returns in October on BBC One



    LEAVE A REPLY

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here