The horrific attack targeted three churches and three luxury hotels during the early hours of Easter Sunday. The three hotels hit were the Shangri-La Colombo, Kingsbury Hotel in Colombo and the Cinnamon Grand Colombo. Officials say at least 35 foreign nationals have been killed.
Sri Lankan police officials told Reuters in just one church, St. Sebastian’s in Katuwapitiya, north of Colombo, more than 50 people had been killed.
Local reports say 25 people were also killed at an evangelical church in Batticaloa in Eastern Province.
No group has immediately claimed responsibility.
The Foreign Office said it was “urgently seeking” information from authorities in Sri Lanka.
A spokeswoman said: “We are aware of reports of a number of explosions in Sri Lanka, including Colombo, and we are urgently seeking information from the local authorities.
“British nationals in Sri Lanka should follow the instructions of the local authorities and check FCO travel advice for updates.”
Sri Lankan Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe called a national security council meeting at his home for later in the day.
Mr Wickremesinghe wrote on Twitter: “I strongly condemn the cowardly attacks on our people today. I call upon all Sri Lankans during this tragic time to remain united and strong.
“Please avoid propagating unverified reports and speculation. The government is taking immediate steps to contain this situation.”
MORE TO FOLLOW