THE billionaire owner of Asos who lost three kids in the Sri Lankan terror attacks planned to hand them control of his Scottish business empire.
A spokesman for Anders Holch Povlsen, 46, who is Denmark’s richest man, confirmed the tycoon lost three of his four kids in the atrocities on Easter Sunday.
Three of Anders Holch Povlsen’s children have been killed in the horrific Sri Lanka terror attacks[/caption]
But in the days before the bombings which killed at least 310 people, Mr Povlsen revealed he planned to leave his ambitious Wildland project to his family.
The billionaire, who has a net worth of around £6bn, owns 220,000 acres in the Highlands and is Scotland’s biggest landowner.
His project in Scotland involves “rewilding” parts of the country helping endangered species by reviving rural habitats.
In an open letter posted a few days ago, he and his wife Anne Storm Pedersen, 40, said they would pass on their 12 estates – and their conservation project – to their kids when they die.
He wrote: “From our home at Glenfeshie, both Anne and myself – our children and our parents too – have long enjoyed a deep connection with this magnificent landscape.
“As the holdings have grown and our common vision for the work becomes ever clearer, we have incorporated the entirety of the project into a venture we call Wildland.
“It’s a significant and lifelong commitment that we have made – not just for ourselves but for the Scottish people and Scottish nature too – a commitment which we believe in deeply.”
He added: “We are working towards an entirely sustainable model; everything in balance a project that can endure beyond what Anne and myself can ever expect to see in our own lifetime.”
It is not clear which of his four children Alma, Astrid, Agnes and Alfred – who had been enjoying a family holiday in Sri Lanka – died in the suicide blast.
WHAT WE KNOW SO FAR:
- At least 310 people killed and 500 injured after seven suicide bombers attacked three churches, four hotels and a block of flats in Colombo, Sri Lanka
- Eight Brits, ‘several’ Americans, one Dutch, one Chinese, two Turkish, three Danes and one Portuguese national have been confirmed dead
- Social media ban in place to prevent spread of misinformation, and night curfew imposed
- 40 terror suspects have been arrested
- Sri Lankan government names local Islamic terror group National Thowheeth Jama’ath as being responsible for the attacks, reportedly inspired by ISIS
Mr Povlsen, 46, is the biggest shareholder in the British online clothes shop Asos.com and second biggest shareholder in German firm Zalando.
Bestseller’s head of communications, Jesper Stubkier, said: “Unfortunately, we can confirm that [the deaths of the three children in Sri Lanka].
“We ask you to respect privacy and we therefore have no further comment.”
Three days before the attacks Mr Povlsen’s daughter Alma shared an Instagram photo of her siblings Astrid, Agnes and Alfred – calling them “three little bears” – in front of a swimming pool lined by palm trees.
Mr Povlsen’s children were visiting Sri Lanka over the Easter holiday when bombs were used to attack churches and hotels in Colombo and Negombo on April 21.
‘PAIN AND SORROW’
It is not clear in which of the eight explosions the children died, reports Berlingske.
Denmark’s Prime Minister, Lars Lokke Rasmussen, said in a press release that the terror attack filled him with pain and sorrow and that all of Denmark stood united with those families who had lost their loved ones.
Rasmussen added: “I can only condemn these disgusting terror actions, which are based on a grotesque view of humanity.
“Our fears that there are Danes among the victims have regrettably been confirmed.”
MOST READ IN NEWS
Mr Povlsen owns 12 estates totalling more than 220,000 acres, including Glenfeshie in the Cairngorms, totalling more than 220,000 acres, through his company Wildland Ltd.
In an interview with The Times this month, he and his wife, Anne, 40, said their vision for the land would be entrusted to their four children.
Eight Brits were killed in the terror attacks at churches and hotels in Colombo – where tourists were eating breakfast and Christian worshippers were gathered for Mass.
The windows of the restaurant area of the luxury Shangri-La Hotel destroyed following the sadistic attack[/caption]
The exterior of the Kingsbury Hotel in Colombo which was devastated by a brainwashed jihadi bomber[/caption]
More than 300 people were killed in the horrific blasts on Easter Sunday[/caption]
Inside St Anthony’s Shrine after an explosion hit the church in Kochchikade in Colombo[/caption]
At least 67 people were killed in the bomb attack in St Sebastian’s church in Negombo yesterday[/caption]
Sri Lankan Army soldiers secure the area around St. Anthony’s Shrine[/caption]
Children are pictured at Sunday school service at Zion Church where 14 youngsters died in the attack[/caption]
A suicide bomber attacked the church in Batticaloa killing at least 28[/caption]
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0207 782 4368 . We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours