FACTOR in some extra costs, now the sun’s finally out.
The sun is out, but your wallet may feel the burn thanks to the price of expensive sun creams[/caption]
We will spend more time outside but could pay too much for sun cream, with top brands charging up to £20. Here’s ways to protect you and your wallet from feeling the burn . . .
- RAY TO GO: Budget brands are often just as good as big brands. I love Aldi’s Lacura SPF30 Moisturising Sun Spray — it’s only £2.39 and provides as much protection as Hawaiian Tropic Spray SPF30, £8 at Superdrug. Consumer watchdog Which? found the Aldi option provided the sun protection factor (SPF) 30 claimed on the label and lived up to its UVA protection claims — so you are not losing out on safety to save money.
- SLAP HAPPY: A survey revealed that 67 per cent of us apply less than the recommended 35ml of sun cream. But instead of scrimping on the amount you slap on, save by buying in bulk. A Soltan Family Essentials pack with three bottles of SPF, a kids’ SPF 50 lotion and an aftersun is down from £22 to £14.67 at Boots.
- ONE-TIME SAVING: Opting for a “once a day” sunscreen could save you money. I like Calypso Once A Day 200ml, £4 at Morrisons, instead of popular P20 which is £19.99 at Superdrug. A daily full-body application of 35ml means you will get just over five days of protection from the bottle. While a 200ml bottle of sun-protection cream that needs to be applied three times a day could run out in less than two. But check the label for individual guidelines.
- HAT TRICK: Protect kids’ heads and give their faces extra shade with a sun hat. Head to H&M where kids’ sun caps with UPF 50 are £5.99 — a saving on near- identical versions sold at JoJo Maman Bebe for £12.99.
- PRICES correct at time of going to press. Deals and offers subject to availability.
Deal of the day
ELIZABETH ARDEN’s anti-ageing moisturiser Visible Difference Cream is £12.95 at TJ Hughes. RRP £30.
LITTLE ones will have hours of fun with a Hatchimals 48-piece puzzle, reduced from £6 to £3 at Smyths.
My Sun Savers fiver
MARLENE SEAWRIGHT from Coleraine, Londonderry, says: “I use my Sun Savers fivers to treat my newborn grandson to baby sensory classes, which he loves.”
- Send Sun Savers fiver stories to sunsavers.co.uk/fivers and get 28 codes worth £5 if yours is used. Please include name and town.
PACKING for a staycation? Men should splash out on Tu Clothing at Sainsbury’s mac. It’s cheaper than Pretty Green’s jacket.
Reader’s saving tip
MICHELLE HARRISON, from Stockport, Greater Manchester, says: “Old buttoned shirts or blouses can make great cushion covers.Turn inside out, cut a square, sew all around, then fold the right way, with buttons as the opening.”
- Send tips to sunsavers.co.uk/tips and you’ll get 28 codes worth £5 if yours is used. Please include your name and town.
How to get two FREE tickets to Warwick Castle worth over £55 with Sun Superdays
CHARGE down to Warwick Castle with your little princes and princesses with two FREE tickets worth more than £55 thanks to Sun Superdays.
Step back in time as you explore the picturesque castle and grounds and enjoy spectacular daily shows and attractions that bring history vividly to life — including the UK’s first Horrible Histories Maze attraction.
Choose your side in the live-action family show Wars Of The Roses Live, right, from Saturday, July 20 to Sunday, September 1.
Get two tickets to enjoy this – all for free[/caption]
Plus catch must-see show, The Falconer’s Quest, featuring a great collection of eagles, buzzards and vultures soaring every day until November 3.
Warwick Castle is full to the turrets with amazing things to see and do.
Marvel at the medieval towers and battlements, try your hand at archery and explore the magnificent interiors of the Great Hall and State Rooms — there is something for everyone.
For more information check out the four-page Warwick Castle pullout in the paper today.
How do I get my Warwick Castle tickets?
To get a pair of free tickets, just download the Sun Savers app or sign up at sunsavers.co.uk. Next, head to the “Offers” section and click “Start Collecting” on the “Superdays — Warwick Castle” page. Then, collect NINE Sun Savers codes from those printed daily in The Sun until Tuesday, July 9. Today’s Sun Savers code is on Page 16. Enter nine Sun Savers codes on the app or website to unlock booking.
Free cash, treats and prizes
Plus, with Sun Savers, you can pick the date you go from the best availability and have the chance to book a day earlier than others.
Alternatively, you can collect TEN of the 18 tokens we print in the paper — we publish one each day — and book using the booking form, today’s token and form can be found on the back page of the pullout.
This year with Sun Superdays you can get two free tickets to lots of the nation’s favourite attractions including, SEA LIFE Aquariums, The Bear Grylls Adventure and Madame Tussauds London — saving you hundreds of pounds.
Not yet a Sun Savers member? Download the free app or sign up at sunsavers.co.uk. Sun Savers is our rewards club that gives readers the chance to take advantage of FREE cash, treats and prizes.
For every 28 Sun Savers codes you collect, we give you a free fiver to spend however you like. Sun Savers codes are printed daily in the paper. Enter it on the Sun Savers app or website. Once you have entered 28, we stick £5 in your wallet.
'JAM-PACKED DAY FULL OF SHOWS'
EMMA BANNISTER knows only too well that a trip to Warwick Castle is truly a Superday out. She took mechanic husband Mick, 44, and son, Charlie along to the attraction. The family from Walsall, West Mids, were delighted to spend some quality time together on their special Sun Superday. Emma, 40, says:
‘I can’t express enough how much I enjoyed our day.
We were blessed with gorgeous weather and had a jam-packed day full of shows and tours around the castle. The huge grounds are absolutely beautiful, too.
There were certain things I couldn’t do as I struggle with walking after suffering a few health issues, so Mick took Charlie around The Castle Dungeon. Charlie loved exploring the attractions and the three of us enjoyed watching the War Of The Roses show.
I had never experienced anything like it before and it was lovely to give Charlie a day out with a difference.
We’d love to go back and we can’t wait for our next Sun Superday adventure – we’re saving up the Sun Savers codes as we speak!’
- Subject to availability. Sun Savers £2 booking fee applies. T&Cs apply, visit the sun.co.uk/superdays.
Play now to win £50k in the Sun Raffle
JOIN thousands of readers taking part in the new Sun Raffle today!
Every Sun Savers code you enter from the paper is your chance to win £50k every month! One code = one ticket.
There is no limit to how many tickets you can collect. So the more you enter, the better your chances.
To take part go to sunsavers.co.uk or open the Sun Savers app.
Then opt in to each month’s Raffle by clicking “Yes!” when prompted and start collecting the Sun Savers codes printed daily in the paper.
Not yet a Sun Savers member? Just go to sunsavers.co.uk or find “Sun Savers” in the app store to get started.
- T&Cs apply. Full T&Cs at sunsavers.co.uk/faqs.
Fancy a free fiver?
YOU can get FREE cash with super Sun Savers just for buying your favourite paper.
Our brilliant new rewards club will pay back our most loyal readers.
Just pick up the paper each day to collect your Sun Savers codes and we will GIVE YOU £5 when you have collected 28.
This isn’t a one-off and there is no limit to how much cash you can save.
For every 28 codes you enter, we will give you a fiver. So over the course of a year, that could add up to £65.
We are keeping it super-simple. You don’t have to enter codes from consecutive days, so don’t worry if you forget a day or two.
MOST READ IN MONEY TIPS
Download our easy Sun Savers app and quickly scan your code using your smartphone. Or go online and enter your code at sunsavers.co.uk.
To get you on your way, join today and we will put a bonus £1 in your Sun Savers wallet tomorrow. And the good news doesn’t stop with free cash.
With Sun Savers, we give you the best hacks, deals and tips to save money every single day.
TO JOIN: Don’t worry, folks — joining takes just 30 seconds, in three steps.
- Prices correct at time of going to press. Deals and offers subject to availability.
- GOT a story? RING The Sun on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAIL firstname.lastname@example.org