At least 11 citizens have been confirmed dead in Monday’s quakes, with rescue teams continuing to scour debris to find survivors. The main location for search teams was a collapsed four-storey commercial building, which was shaken on the country’s largest island. The 6.1 magnitude earthquake devastated Porac, located roughly 108km (67.1 miles) northeast of Manila.
During Tuesday morning, reports emerged seven people had been rescued from the rubble of the building, which officials said had caved in on a ground floor supermarket.
Pampanga provincial governor Lilia Pineda, who represents another savaged area, said: “The rescue is ongoing, they are still hearing a sound, no one can say how many were still trapped.”
Reports on Monday suggested two further buildings collapsed after the tremors rocked the centre of the country.
Witnesses reported buildings swaying after the earthquake struck Luzon on Monday afternoon.
READ MORE: Moment buildings SWAY as 6.3 magnitude earthquake STRIKES Philippines
Thousands of people lined up the streets after authorities ordered mass evacuations across the country.
Local residents reported feeling shakes across Manila, Ususan Taguig City and Pampanga.
One witness said: “I did hear some glass breaking outside our house and there were other people screaming and frightened.
“I did have some experiences on earthquake occurrences but this might be the first time that I was terrified of what might happen to us.
“It was quite long actually and that made it even worse.”
The Clark International Airport, a former US military base located within Clark Freeport Zone in Angeles and Mabalacat, had suffered severe damage from the earthquake forcing authorities to shut down parts of the building.
The Philippines lies on the seismically active Pacific “Ring of Fire”, a horse-shoe shaped band of volcanoes and fault lines circling the edges of the Pacific Ocean.
Electricity lines have now been restored to parts of the region that experienced power outages.