Parents reveal heartbreaking moment son, 2, died in their arms after cough turned into pneumonia

0
32


HEARTBROKEN parents have revealed the moment their two-year-old son died in their arms, after his cough turned into pneumonia.

Samuel Andrews’ mum and dad said they will “never get over” the little boy dying as they held him.

BPM Media

Samuel Andrews died after developing pneumonia from a cough[/caption]

Dad Rob was forced to perform CPR on the tiny boy for 40 minutes after he was found unresponsive in a travel cot in February last year.

He had been suffering with a cough and was taken to the doctors, but his parents were told it was croup and simply a mild infection.

But after medics rushed to the pub where the family lives and got him breathing again, doctors at Queens Medical Centre, Nottingham, told Rob and Sara Andrews he had developed pneumonia.

His body had shut down because it had gone without oxygen for so long.

The couple decided to switch off their son’s life support machine and say their goodbyes, after doctors said the prognosis wasn’t good.

Mr Andrews said: “The doctors carried out a brain scan and unlike normal brain scans the tests came back black.

“Me and my wife were left with a heartbreaking choice to make,” he said.

“The doctors told us that because of Samuel’s brain shutting down he would be likely to suffer from a heart attack.

“We wanted the chance to say goodbye to him in our own way and we decided to turn off the support machine.

“We watched him die in our arms and it’s something that we’ll never get over.

“The two lads are lost without their younger brother and cousin, it’s been hard for them to come to terms with.


“They’ve attended one-to-one sessions at the Children’s Bereavement Centre in Newark who gave them teddies to encourage them to talk.”

“Without the help of our regulars I don’t think that we’d have been able to get through it all.

“They raised money to help pay for the funeral, and we’ve held charity events to raise money for the paediatric care unit at QMC.”

BPM Media

The little boy was found unresponsive in the pub his parent’s own[/caption]


We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at tips@the-sun.co.uk or call 0207 782 4368. You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.



LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here