NICK KNOWLES has pleaded guilty to driving while using a mobile phone and speeding.
I can reveal the DIY SOS host and I’m A Celebrity contestant was nicked for the offence and will appear at Cheltenham Magistrates Court next Wednesday for sentencing.
But he has owned up to his mistake and has insisted he will take whatever punishment he is given. Nick told me: “I was advised by some people to get a top lawyer and contest this, but I’ve held my hands up, said I’m guilty and will be going to court next week for sentencing.
“I’m expecting to get a ban from driving and I will absolutely accept that because what I did was wrong.
“Like many people, I drive thousands of miles a year up and down the country for my work.
“It’s all too easy to drive a bit too fast or read or send a text, but let me be the lesson to everyone; It’s not OK.”
Nick, 56, said the experience had been a learning curve and has made him realise he’s not the only one guilty of using his phone behind the wheel, which can be extremely dangerous.
The dad-of-four explained: “Since this incident I’ve noticed so many doing it and I don’t want to be that person. Texts can wait till I get wherever I’m going.
“I’ve started putting my phone in the boot of my car before I set off driving.
“I have Bluetooth and can answer calls, but it’s out of reach.
“We all need to start realising that no phone call or text is ever that important.”
MOST READ IN CELEBRITY
It’s good to see Nick hasn’t gone down the David Beckham route of using loopholes for celebrity justice.
And he’s learned a very valuable lesson here too.
- GOT a story? RING The Sun on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAIL email@example.com