NHS Spitfire will fly over parts of the UK today (Saturday, August 1) for a special outing in order to thank NHS and key workers for their efforts throughout the coronavirus pandemic. The plane has a special feature, with the names of NHS and key workers painted upon its wings.
The Aircraft Restoration Company, a company which specialises in restoring vintage aircraft, will fly the plane on Saturday.
For those looking up at the skies, the message ‘THANK U NHS’ will be painted across the underside of its wings
The blue Spitfire PL983 ‘L’ had been flown every Thursday during lockdown to thank key workers.
This was in alongside the weekly clap for carers, which had taken place on a Thursday every week for 10 weeks during lockdown.
Read More: NHS Spitfire route MAP: Where NHS Spitfire will fly over this weekend
The day of flypasts will culminate at 4.40pm, with the plane landing back at Duxford Airfield.
For those elsewhere in the UK, don’t fret, as there are plans for future flypasts over hospitals across the country.
Here are the full timings for Saturday, July 1
1. 11.00am – Duxford Airfield (Take-off)
2. 11.15am – Southend University Hospital NHS
3. 11.20am – Medway Maritime Hospital NHS
4. 11.27am – Kent and Canterbury Hospital NHS
5. 11.32am – Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Hospital NHS – Margate
6. 11.37am – Buckland Hospital NHS – Dover
7. 11.42am – Royal Victoria Hospital NHS – Folkestone
8. 11.46am – William Harvey Ashford Hospital NHS
9. 11.55am – Conquest Hospital NHS – Hastings
10. 12.00pm – Bexhill Hospital NHS
11. 12.05pm – Eastbourne District General Hospital NHS
12. 12.10pm – Brighton General & Royal Sussex County Hospital NHS
13. 12.18pm – Worthing Hospital NHS
14. 12.25pm – Bognor Regis War Memorial Hospital NHS
15. 12.29pm – St Richard’s Hospital NHS – Chichester
16. 12.30pm – Goodwood Aerodrome (Land)
1. 3.00pm – Goodwood Aerodrome (Take-off)
2. 3.05pm – Queen Alexandra Hospital NHS – Portsmouth
3. 3.10pm – St Mary’s Hospital NHS – Newport, Isle of Wight
4. 3.20pm – Poole Hospital NHS
5. 3.25pm – Royal Bournemouth and Christchurch Hospitals NHS
6. 3.32pm – University Hospital Southampton NHS
7. 3.47pm – Salisbury District Hospital NHS
8. 3.55pm – Royal Hampshire County Hospital NHS – Winchester
9. 4.00pm – Basingstoke and North Hampshire Hospital NHS
10. 4.05pm – Frimley Park Hospital NHS
11. 4.10pm – Royal Berkshire Hospital NHS – Reading
12. 4.18pm – Amersham Hospital NHS
13. 4.26pm – Oxford University Hospitals NHS
14. 4.30pm – Watford General Hospital NHS
15. 4.40pm – Duxford Airfield (Land)