New Zealand shooting: Is it safe to travel to Christchurch after horrific mosque attack?

0
22


Concerns have been raised for those trying to get into and out of Christchurch following the hideous attack on Friday. Air New Zealand, one of the country’s biggest airlines, has stepped in to explain to worried travellers what they can do. In a tweet the company said: “Call volumes may be higher than usual as a result of this incident, impacted customers are not required to advise Air New Zealand today of changes to their travel plans.

“Air New Zealand has offered its support to emergency services managing the incident in Christchurch today.”

The firm says that it would waive any change fees and the difference in fare should customers be forced to change their plans.

Chaos has reigned in Christchurch today after at least nine people were shot dead in the gun attack.

Two mosques were targeted and bombs were planted on vehicles within three kilometres of the scene.

READ MORE: New Zealand shooting: Sadistic attacker LIVE STREAMED attack

The country’s Police Commissioner Mike Bush told a press conference that four people are in custody.

He said he was unable to confirm if the incident was a terrorist attack.

But he added that “it does not get more serious than this”.

Previously, the Prime Minister of New Zealand released a statement in which she described the incident as “one of the darkest days” in the country’s history.

Mohan Ibrahim, who was inside the mosque when the shooting began, described the terrifying scenes he witnessed.

He told the New Zealand Herald he thought it was an electric shock but then people started running.

He said: “I still have friends inside. I have been calling my friends but there are many I haven’t heard from. I am scared for my friends’ lives.”

Ahmad Al-mahmoud described seeing the man “coming through and shooting everyone in the mosque”.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here