A spokesman for Libya’s Government of National Accord said in a statement that the airstrikes were carried out last night. According to Sputnik News, the spokesman for the organisation’s president, Mohamed El Sallak added: “A site where a number of members of al-Qaeda were stationed on the outskirts of the city of Ubari was bombed on Wednesday night.” Mr Sallak said on Twitter that the operations are part of “ongoing cooperation” between the US and Libya’s GNA.
He explained that it occurred after discussions at a recent meeting between Libya’s foreign minister Mohamed Taha Siala and US secretary of state Mike Pompeo.
The talks were held at the gathering of the global anti-Daesh coalition, a group of 79 nations looking to eradicate the so-called Islamic State (ISIS).
Daesh is the Arabic term for ISIS, who the US has been fighting in Syria.
The strikes come after the US came under increasing pressure from Russia and Iran to remove its troops from Syria after President Donald Trump vowed to last year.
READ MORE: Iran ‘builds’ SECRET Syrian missile site
In December, Trump claimed ISIS had been defeated and that he would be bringing the troops back from the Middle Eastern country.
At the time, Trump said: “We have won against ISIS.
“Our boys, they’re all coming back and they’re coming back now.”
However shortly after the announcement was made the pullout deadline was extended by several months.
Unbari is located in the Sahara Desert.
It has a population of around 35,000 and is known as an idyllic oasis town, with permanent, unlimited sunshine all year round.
In 2011, NATO intervened in Libya, disposing of the country’s late prime minister Mummer Gaddafi.
Under his reign, the country experienced fierce civil war and armed conflict.
The US Africa Command, which is responsible for American forces in that area, could not immediately be reached for comment.