Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s non-profit ‘owed £200,000 by mystery donor’

    10
    0

    Meghan and Harry set up Sussex Royal last year when they split from Prince William and Kate Middleton’s charity The Royal Foundation, but after they stepped down as senior royals they were instructed not to use the name Sussex Royal. They are therefore closing it, and plan to start a new venture called Archewell. Curiously, the name of the now-defunct Sussex Royal has been changed to MWX Foundation, one week after filing for liquidation.

    What’s more, in the Declaration of Solvency, published on July 28, the statement of assets and liabilities revealed that the organisation is still owed £200,000.

    However, it does not say who has promised this money.

    According to finance expert Robert Leach, it is unusual for a charity to have sums owed like this, because donations are not legally owed before being paid.

    He told the Daily Mail: “It is unusual to have a figure for ‘receivables’ in a charity account as that indicates sums owed but not yet paid, such as an invoice not yet paid.

    READ MORE: William’s concern ‘snobbish’ while Meghan’s friends ‘given free pass’

    meghan markle prince harry

    Meghan and Harry’s non-profit has a mystery donor (Image: GETTY)

    sussex royal documents

    Declaration of Solvency documents (Image: Companies House)

    “Charities rely on donations, which are not sums legally owed before being paid.

    “The fact that the sum is a round figure of £200,000 suggets that whoever it is coming from is making periodic payments, possibly with future payments to the new charity.”

    The filing on Companies House also shows that the non-profit currently has £99,000 in the bank and that they expect to have pre-liquidation costs of £35,000 and winding up costs of £16,000.

    This means that a grant of £248,000 can be transferred to the couple’s other endeavour: Travalyst.

    meghan harry william kate

    Meghan and Harry set up their non-profit when they split from William and Kate’s Royal Foundation (Image: GETTY)

    A source told Express.co.uk last month that all Sussex Royal assets would be transferred to Harry’s sustainable tourism initiative, Travalyst.

    Travalyst was registered as a limited company on April 3 this year and has not yet been registered with the Charity Commission.

    After this report was published, anti-monarchy group Republic reported Sussex Royal to the Charity Commission, as well as William and Kate’s Royal Foundation, which gave a huge grant to Sussex Royal and Travalyst.

    Republic accused the Sussexes and Cambridges of “inappropriate use of charitable funds, conflicts of interest and a lack of independence”.

    DON’T MISS
    Queen Elizabeth II’s heartbreaking confession about Prince Andrew [REVEALED]
    Meghan Markle accused of ‘abandoning theatre patronage’ amid COVID-19 [INSIGHT]
    Queen ‘ahead of the curve’ on key coronavirus craze [ANALYSIS]

    republic ceo graham smith

    Repblic CEO Graham Smith (Image: GETTY)

    The Charity Commission said it would “assess the information provided to determine whether or not there is a role for the Commission”, as they do with any complaint.

    A spokeswoman for the Charity Commission told Express.co.uk that both Sussex Royal and the Royal Foundation had been contacted for further information.

    A spokeswoman for the Royal Foundation said in a statement that the grants of £145,000 to Sussex Royal and £144,901 to Travalyst were within the rules.

    They said: “The grants made to Sussex Royal were to support the charitable work of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

    “They were fully in line with governance requirements and were reported transparently.”

    Meanwhile, Prince Harry released a statement through his lawyers, hitting back at Republic’s claims.

    The statement said: “The Duke of Sussex has always and continues to remain deeply committed to his charitable work.

    meghan markle prince harry

    Meghan and Harry stepped down as senior royals at the end of March (Image: GETTY)

    “This is his life’s focus, and his devotion to charity is at the very core of the principles he lives by, and is obvious through the impact and success of his many charitable projects throughout the UK and beyond.

    “To this point, it is deeply offensive to see false claims made about The Duke of Sussex and his charitable work.

    “It is both defamatory and insulting to all the outstanding organisations and people he has partnered with.”



    LEAVE A REPLY

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here