Local

Liverpool lockdown: Could Liverpool be next city to go on lockdown?

Some residents in certain areas of Liverpool have been advised to avoid mixing with other households amid a recent spike in coronavirus confirmed cases. There have been 20 cases in the area of Princes Park within the past week alone – totalling an estimated half of the total cases for the whole city over the same period of time, according to local authorities. People living in the Princes Park area are also being urged not to have visitors stay overnight at their homes.

Could Liverpool be the next city to go on lockdown?

Director of Public Health Liverpool Matt Ashton said he hoped to avoid a “more draconian lockdown” in Liverpool if people followed the rules.

If the situation in Liverpool does not improve, it may well be the next city to go into a local lockdown.

However, authorities are relying on the plan in place to stop the spread of the virus and avoid the city being locked down again.

In addition to discouraging the mixing of households, some care home visits in the area have been suspended, events and gatherings been cancelled and community buildings will remain closed.

READ MORE: Unemployment rife in the UK due to lockdown – these areas hardest hit

Liverpool Council also announced a walk-in coronavirus testing centre, which will open on Saturday, August 8, at the Princes Park Health Centre.

Mr Ashton said: “We have seen a rise in cases in the Princes Park area and are concerned that it could spiral unless we act to bring the virus back under control.

“These measures are designed to prevent the need for a more draconian lockdown in the area, which would be much more difficult for people to endure.

“This is about us all working together to protect each other, making sure we are not complacent and getting a grip of the virus, and keeping it under control.”

Liverpool Council said the measures will be reviewed again in 14 days, to see whether or not they can be eased.

The move comes as Greater Manchester and some parts of East Lancashire and West Yorkshire were forced to undergo tougher lockdown measures following a spike in cases.

People from different households in the affected areas are no longer allowed to meet indoors from midnight on Friday, July 31.

In northern parts of England, an increasing transmission of COVID-19 had been identified and the Government took “immediate action” to ensure the safety of residents.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock said “households gathering and not abiding by the social distancing rules” was one of the main reasons for the stricter measures.

Mr Hancock said: “We take this action with a heavy heart, but unfortunately it’s necessary because we’ve seen that households meeting up and a lack of social distancing is one of the causes of the rising rate of coronavirus, and we will do whatever necessary to keep the country safe.

“And we’ve got to bring this in straight away, because we can see those numbers increasing, we need to keep a control of this virus.”

The Health Secretary tweeted that the Government is “constantly looking at the latest data” on coronavirus transmission and “unfortunately, we’ve seen an increasing rate of transmission in parts of northern England”.



Tags

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Close
Close