Four teen girls behind vicious bus stop attack on Egyptian student who later died are spared jail


FOUR teenage girls who battered an Egyptian student who later died following a row on social media over a boy have been spared jail.

Mariam Moustafa, 18, passed away three weeks after being left in a coma following the brutal assault outside a shopping centre in Nottingham on February 20 last year.

PA:Press Association

Mariam Mustafa died almost a month after the assault in Nottingham[/caption]

PA:Press Association

Her heartbroken family issued this image of Mariam in hospital after the brutal attack[/caption]

She was punched several times and dragged by the laughing female yobs before the attack – which was filmed by one of the girls – continued after she boarded a bus.

A court heard the teenager was set upon by a six-strong pack who “had beef” over her friendship with a boy in a row “fuelled by social media.”

The gang were being taunted on Instagram by someone using the name “Black Rose” and had questioned whether it was Mariam.

Last week Mariah Fraser, 20, Britania Hunter, 18, and a 16-year-old girl, who cannot be named, were sentenced for their part in the attack.

Fraser was sentenced to eight months in a young offenders institution, Hunter was given unpaid work and the 16-year-old was given a referral order.


Yesterday, “ringleader” Netesha Lewis, 18, Rochelle Dobbin, 18, who filmed the attack, and two 16-year-old girls, appeared at Nottingham Youth Court.

All four defendants avoided jail after being given referral orders by District Judge Timothy Spruce.

Sentencing, he told the thugs the aim of filming the attack had been to capture Mariam in a state of “humiliation and distress”.

The judge added: “Mariam was 18-years-old at the time of her death. Watching it [footage of the assault], this was a truly shocking attack.

“Mariam was first the subject of verbally abuse, then physical. The atmosphere was one of fear and intimidation. The incident was recorded and then put on social media.”

The court was told how Mariam was slammed against the bus stop Lewis could be heard using the words “Black Rose” and “Snapchat” as she attacked the teenage.

Mariam was first the subject of verbally abuse, then physical. The atmosphere was one of fear and intimidation

District Judge Timothy Spruce

Engineering student Mariam, who had been offered a place at university in London, suffered a stroke and fell into a coma before dying on March 14 at Nottingham City Hospital.

The CPS could only bring affray charges against the group, rather than manslaughter or murder, as her death could not be directly linked to the attack.

Tina Dempster, prosecuting, said: “Pathologically it was not possible to say what took place on Parliament Street was the cause of Mariam’s death.

“Mariam had suffered from chronic heart disease over the years.

“However, the prosecution took the view the incident was too serious that a prosecution was needed.”

Ms Dempster said Mariam had suffered a “sustained and serious” attack after being questioned by Lewis if she was the user “Black Rose” on social media.


She said: “Messages were flying around social media by someone called Black Rose and the girls thought that was Mariam.

“They were shouting things like ‘you watch fam, you’re going to get f***ed up when I see you, I’ll f**k you up again.’

“The six got on off the bus and were shouting abuse at Mariam. It was at this point Mariam collapsed.
“The defendants seemed unconcerned and were laughing.”

Graham Heathcote, defending Lewis, said: “She said there had been an exchange on Snapchat between young people and were trash talking.

“She perceived Mariam to be the user of Black Rose. She should’ve walked the other way and she knows that.”

Lewis was sentenced to an intense referral order for 12 months while Dobbin was handed a referral order for six months.

One of the 16-year-old girls was made the subject of a nine month referral order, while the other teen received a six month referral order.

Each member of the group stood up and apologised for their behaviour, while their parents sat behind them in the court room.

Mariam’s family did not attend court today but after the previous hearing her dad Mohamed, 51, said: “I waited all this time for justice but now I feel there is no justice in this country.”

PA:Press Association

Rochelle Dobbin, left, avoided jail after being given a referral order on Wednesday[/caption]

Britania Hunter, 18, was pictured arriving at Nottingham Crown Court
Mariah Fraser, 19, admitted affray on the attack on the Egyptian engineering student
Mariam’s father Mohamed Moustafa said he feels his family are no longer safe in the UK and is considering moving back to Egypt
PA:Press Association
Mariam’s mum Nessrin Abu-Elenein (left) and sister Mallak


We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at or call 0207 782 4368. You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here