Council Tax warning: The band could change if you 'start or stop working from home'


    To work out Council Tax, there are three things which are required. These are the valuation band for the home in England or Wales, or in Scotland, how much the local council charges for that particular band, and whether or not the ballplayer can get a discount or exemption from the full bill.

    This is something that is flagged on the government website.

    Addressing changes that may affect a person’s Council Tax band, GOV.UK lists examples such as:

    • “You demolish part of your property and do not rebuild it
    • You alter your property to create two or more self-contained units, for example an annexe – each unit will have its own band
    • You split a single property into self-contained flats
    • You convert flats into a single property
    • You start or stop working from home
    • The previous owner made changes to your property
    • There are significant changes to your local area, like a new road being built
    • A similar property in your area has its Council Tax band changed.”


    Clearly, the guidance states that starting or stopping working from home could mean a property is revalued and put into a different band.

    Further information on this can be found under the Working at home section of the Business rates guidance.

    GOV.UK states that usually a person wouldn’t need to pay business rates for a home-based business if they sell goods by post, or use a small part of their home for the business.

    An example of the latter is using a bedroom as an office.

    It’s something which can be done online, via GOV.UK’s Valuation Office Agency Contact Form.

    Usually, a person will have to pay Council Tax if they’re aged 18 or older and own or rent a home.

    The full bill is based on at least two adults living in a property, with spouses and partners living together being jointly responsible for paying it.

    There may be cases when people can get a discount or a full exemption from Council Tax.


    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here