Home News Coronavirus map LIVE: Greater Manchester declares major incident as infection rates spike

Coronavirus map LIVE: Greater Manchester declares major incident as infection rates spike

3
0

The decision was taken by the Strategic Coordination Group on the weekend after they met to discuss the increased lockdown restrictions announced last week across parts of the North West. New measures forbid people from different households from meeting each other inside their homes or in gardens, while also banning separate households from mixing in pubs, restaurants and other hospitality venues. Out of the top 20 worst affected local authority areas for Covid-19 infections in England, Greater Manchester boroughs – home to almost 3 million people – comprise more than a third of the list, with seven entries.

Sir Richard Leese, Leader of Manchester City Council, said: “People should not be alarmed that a major incident has been declared.”

He called the move “standard practice for complex situations” and said it would allow a “central command structure” to be created to enable agencies to “draw on extra resources”.

The decision was taken by the Strategic Coordination Group on the weekend after they met to discuss the increased lockdown restrictions announced last week across parts of the North West.

New measures forbid people from different households from meeting each other inside their homes or in gardens, while also banning separate households from mixing in pubs, restaurants and other hospitality venues.

Out of the top 20 worst affected local authority areas for Covid-19 infections in England, Greater Manchester boroughs – home to almost 3 million people – comprise more than a third of the list, with seven entries.

The decision comes after Labour Mayor of Greater Manchester tweeted: “I listened to the Government when they came to me late on Thursday & asked for our support for new restrictions.

“I am now asking them to listen to us: please reinstate the shielding policy in Greater Manchester from first thing tomorrow.

“Failure to do so is wrong and inhumane.”

7.43am update: Major incident in Greater Manchester

Soaring numbers of coronavirus cases have prompted authorities in Greater Manchester to declare a major incident amid assurances that there is “no cause for alarm”.

The decision was taken by the Strategic Coordination Group on the weekend after they met to discuss the increased lockdown restrictions announced last week across parts of the North West.

New measures forbid people from different households from meeting each other inside their homes or in gardens, while also banning separate households from mixing in pubs, restaurants and other hospitality venues.

Out of the top 20 worst affected local authority areas for Covid-19 infections in England, Greater Manchester boroughs – home to almost 3 million people – comprise more than a third of the list, with seven entries.



LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here