Chris Wood scores twice as Sean Dyche’s side edge ever closer to Premier League safety


NEIL WARNOCK was fuming with the officials again after a penalty farce plunged Cardiff into deeper relegation trouble.

Warnock’s side were trailing to Chris Wood’s header when assistant ref Darren Cann flagged for a penalty when Ben Mee handled.

Chris Wood scored a header to put Burnley ahead before he doubled his tally in the second half
Cardiff boss Neil Warnock appeared to lose his temper on the sidelines

Mike Dean pointed to the spot but after speaking to his lino and talking through the handball decided to overrule.

Warnock, who is in hot water with the FA for comments after Chelsea’s offside winner last weekend, was livid on the touchline.

His team were battling back into the game after a shocking first half when Burnley should have racked up a big score.

Wood had already hit the post with a header in the opener minutes, while Ashley Westwood raced through twice but was denied by Neil Etheridge.

They got their goal when Dwight McNeil swung over a corner and Wood was left totally unmarked and thundered his header home.

Cardiff knew they needed a win to close the five-point gap on their relegation rivals – and tempers got heated at Turf Moor.

Ashley Barnes got a caution after KISSING Joe Bennett as they went head-to-head before the break.

Junior Hoilett blazed over the bar with their best chance, while Harry Arter skimmed the crossbar with an effort.

And they had another penalty shout turned down when Aron Gunnarsson was brought down by Charlie Taylor.

McNeil went on a mazy run to set up the second, with his cross deflected into the path of Wood for his second.

Burnley secured three points after Chris Wood’s headed effort
Getty Images – Getty
Mike Dean sparked outrage when he changed his mind after he pointed to the penalty spot
Getty Images – Getty
Ashley Barnes and Joe Bennett went head-to-head on the pitch




Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here