In a letter to passengers the airline said: “We constantly review our security arrangements at all our airports around the world. We have suspended flights to Cairo for seven days to allow for further assessment.” An aviation source said: “There was chatter picked up that suggested a specific threat to a BA jet and so to ensure safety the flights were cancelled.”
Thousands of holiday makers face being stranded as BA flights will remain grounded for one week.
Germany’s Lufthansa also axed two of its flights to Cairo on Saturday but they started again yesterday with departures from Frankfurt and Munich.
To alleviate the stress and waiting times of travel to Cairo, British Airways booked travellers on to other airlines including EgyptAir.
Egyptian media reported that BA security teams visited Cairo airport last week.
READ MORE: Egypt: How ‘remarkable’ Red Sea find revealed who built Great Pyramid
One tourism chief said: “We take passenger safety very seriously and maintain the strictest standards.”
Passenger Duncan Harte, from Portsmouth said his flight to the UK was cancelled but BA “rebooked me on an EgyptAir flight an hour later”.
BA’s website is selling tickets to Cairo from next Monday.
A spokesman said: “We would never operate an aircraft unless it was safe to do so.”
The Foreign Office website warns of “a heightened risk of terrorism against aviation” in Egypt.
Egyptair is continuing to fly twice daily between Heathrow and Cairo.
The Saturday night flight on Egyptair from Heathrow to Cairo was delayed by over an hour and did not take off until shortly before midnight.
It is not clear what held up the flight, but it may have been connected with the security alert and BA’s decision to cancel flights.