THE New Year is upon us, and with it comes a tantalising prospect for any Fifa fan: the unveiling of the Team of the Year, which celebrates the crème de la crème of football talent.
Here’s all you need to know about the feature, from when the XI is being announced to the full list of superstar nominees.
EA Sports The FUT 18 Team of the Year celebrates the world’s greatest footballers
What is Team of the Year and when is Fifa 18 TOTY released?
Team of the Year (TOTY) gives Fifa 18 Ultimate Team and Fifa Mobile gamers the chance to get their hands on limited-edition cards honouring the standout players from 2017.
TOTY items will be available in packs for a limited time after the squad is announced, and will be highly-sought after and incredibly rare.
The player cards give even the planet’s biggest superstars dramatic upgrades – Lionel Messi and Luis Suarez were rated 98 last year, and Cristiano Ronaldo 99.
Voting was completed by Friday, January 12, and EA Sports will begin announcing the final XI on Monday, January 15.
Last year, the developer revealed the TOTY position-by-position, starting with the team’s goalkeeper, Manuel Neuer.
The final XI, selected from a longlist of 55 nominees, will be laid out in a 4-3-3 formation, consisting of four defenders, four midfielders and three attackers.
Who’s on the Fifa 18 TOTY nominees list?
- Gianluigi Buffon – Juventus
- David De Gea – Manchester United
- Hugo Lloris – Tottenham
- Keylor Navas – Real Madrid
- Jan Oblak – Atletico Madrid
- David Alaba – Bayern Munich
- Jordi Alba – Barcelona
- Marcos Alonso – Chelsea
- Dani Alves – PSG
- Cesar Azpilicueta – Chelsea
- Leonardo Bonucci – AC Milan
- Dani Carvajal – Real Madrid
- Diego Godin – Atletico Madrid
- Joshua Kimmich – Bayern Munich
- Kalidou Koulibaly – Napoli
- Filipe Luis – Atletico Madrid
- David Luiz – Chelsea
- Marcelo – Real Madrid
- Gerard Pique – Barcelona
- Sergio Ramos – Real Madrid
- Alex Sandro – Juventus
- Thiago Silva – PSG
- Antonio Valencia – Manchester United
- Jan Vertonghen – Tottenham
- Kyle Walker – Manchester City
- Thiago Alcantara – Bayern Munich
- Dele Alli – Tottenham
- Casemiro – Real Madrid
- Kevin De Bruyne – Manchester City
- Paulo Dybala – Juventus
- Christian Eriksen – Tottenham
- Emil Forsberg – Leipzig
- Andres Iniesta – Barcelona
- Isco – Real Madrid
- N’Golo Kante – Chelsea
- Toni Kroos – Real Madrid
- Luka Modric – Real Madrid
- Radja Nainggolan – Roma
- Arjen Robben – Bayern Munich
- Marco Verratti – PSG
- Sergio Aguero – Manchester City
- Edinson Cavani – PSG
- Philippe Coutinho – Barcelona
- Antoine Griezmann – Atletico Madrid
- Eden Hazard – Chelsea
- Harry Kane – Tottenham
- Robert Lewandowski – Bayern Munich
- Romelu Lukaku – Manchester United
- Kylian Mbappe – PSG
- Dries Mertens – Napoli
- Lionel Messi – Barcelona
- Neymar – PSG
- Cristiano Ronaldo – Real Madrid
- Alexis Sanchez – Arsenal
- Luis Suarez
Can you vote for the Fifa 18 TOTY?
For the first time, this year’s TOTY vote was put in the hands of a selection of figures from the media, athletes and Fifa community members all individually selected by EA Sports.
Their choices account for 60% of the overall vote, with EA Sports themselves casting the remaining 40%.
If you weren’t among the chosen few with a vote, you still had an opportunity to have your say with the Ultimate Team support website Futhead.
You could log on to their website here and select your team, with votes all counting towards the overall official selection they will submit to EA Sports – but their poll has now come to an end.