Tennis Nadal Weathers Blast From Pocket Rocket Schwartzman | The News Amed
Connect with us

World News

Tennis Nadal Weathers Blast From Pocket Rocket Schwartzman

Published

on

MELBOURNE – Top seed Rafa Nadal was rattled by a feisty challenge from Diego Schwartzman but held firm to fend off the diminutive Argentine 6-3 6-7(4) 6-3 6-3 to reach the quarter-finals of the Australian Open on Sunday.

In an often breathtaking clash boasting some sumptuous shot-making, the Spaniard was stunned by the hard-hitting Schwartzman who broke him three times before claiming the second set at Rod Laver Arena.

But the 16-times grand slam champion responded with typical grit, raising his defensive game to blanket the 24th seed’s firepower and claiming the win on the third match point with a rocketed backhand return down the line.

The victory ensured Nadal will retain his world number one ranking and set up a meeting with sixth seed and former U.S. Open champion Marin Cilic for a place in the semi-finals.

World News

Irish Pm Calls For Urgent Restoration Of Northern Ireland Government

Published

on

By

DUBLIN – Ireland’s Prime Minister called for the urgent restoration of Northern Ireland’s power-sharing government on Monday after talks to end a year-long political stalemate broke down yet again last week.

Both the British and Irish governments have said they want to get the talks back on track but neither have suggested when Irish nationalists Sinn Fein and the pro-British Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) should return to the negotiating table.

The British province has been without a devolved executive for over a year since Sinn Fein withdrew from the compulsory coalition with their arch-rivals that has been central to a 1998 peace deal that ended three decades of violence there.

“The (Irish) government will continue to engage with the parties in Northern Ireland and the British government to support the urgent formation of a new executive,” Varadkar said in a statement after meeting with Sinn Fein and speaking to British Prime Minister Theresa May by phone.

Before meeting Varadkar, Sinn Fein leader Mary Lou McDonald said there should be no delay in resuming talks that she and both governments believe were close to a successful outcome before the DUP pulled out over a disagreement on additional rights for Irish-language speakers.

DUP leader Arlene Foster reiterated her call for London to take further financial control of the region, saying her party remained committed to devolution “but not at any price”.

Britain has already had to take steps toward governing the region directly for the first time in a decade and many fear a return to full British direct rule would further destabilize a delicate balance between nationalists and unionists.

Britain has said it is absolutely committed to restoring the power-sharing administration and Varadkar repeated on Monday that his government did not want to see the introduction of direct rule across the border.

Reporting by Padraic Halpin;

Continue Reading

World News

Sylvester Stallone Dead Hoax – Rocky Actor Tells Fans He’s ‘alive And Well’ After Rumours Of His Death Sweep Social Media

Published

on

By

SYLVESTER STALLONE has put the bizarre rumour he is dead to bed as he tweeted declaring he is “still punching” this evening.

The Rocky star told fans to “ignore this stupidity” and confirmed he is “alive and well” after the rumour swept the internet.

The actor confirmed to fans he is still alive after a rumour of his death took off today

He added: “Remember to always grab LIFE by the throat and do not let go until you succeed.”

This isn’t the first time he has had to bat of rumours of an early demise – Facebook users reported seeing a fraudulent message in September 2016 claiming Stallone had been found dead at his LA home.

It was later exposed as a hoax after it emerged it was linked to a website known for creating and sharing celebrity death hoaxes.

But the rumour has now returned to social media a year-and-a-half later.

He added on an inspirational message as he said he is still ‘alive and well’

AP:Associated Press Wild online rumours are claiming Sylvester Stallone is dead again

The return of the hoax appeared to have been sparked by him sharing a fan poster for Creed II – the next instalment in the Rocky film series.

After seeing Sly’s face on the advert, some people on social media – still convinced that he was dead from the last hoax – reacted with confusion.

RIP messages began to circulate online, with some claiming Sly had died from prostate cancer.

The rumour was fuelled by fake news articles being shared online

Twitter users were seen asking each other if the Rocky star had really passed away as the Chinese whispers spread like wildfire.

One wrote: “Is Sylvester Stallone dead or is Facebook lying again?”

Another wrote: “Omg I thought Sylvester Stallone was dead!! I hate the Internet”

Continue Reading

World News

Starving Lion Chews Off Its Own Tail In Hellhole Chinese Zoo

Published

on

By

A STARVING lion was forced to chew off its own tail after it froze in a Chinese zoo’s water hole.

Tourists visiting Taiyuan Zoo, in Shanxi Province, during the Lunar New Year holidays spotted the malnourished animal pacing around in circles.

A starving lion in Taiyuan Zoo, in Shanxi Province, is believed to have chewed off its own tail

The emaciated beast was kept inside the cage with a lioness who looked equally hungry.

Visitors accused the zoo of abuse and demanded to know why the lion was missing half of its tail.

A Taiyuan Zoo spokesman explained that the lion fell asleep with its tail inside an artificial drinking hole, which frozen in the cold temperatures.

The tail suffered tissue damage and bled, so the lion “bit it off”, the spokesman added.

AsiaWire Visitors became deeply concerned when they saw the emaciated lion pacing around its room

The staff member said employees discovered the injury and the lion was put on a course of medication to help stop its bleeding.

However, the zoo did not respond to accusations that the two lions were underfed and malnourished.

Social media users on China’s Twitter-like microblogging service Sina Weibo said the lions looked “depressed”, pacing around their tiny enclosure.

Continue Reading

Trending