TWO people have died and six people rushed to hospital after a huge blaze ripped through a luxury hotel and resort on the banks of a Scottish lake.
Firefighters rushed to Cameron House on the banks of Loch Lomond, in Scotland’s south, after the blaze took hold in the early hours of this morning.
John Kirkby – The Sun Glasgow The blaze ripped through Cameron House Hotel on the banks of Loch Lomond
Argyll & West Dunbartonshire Police confirmed two people had died, saying: “One person was pronounced dead at the scene. Four people were taken to hospital, one to the RAH who later died.
“A further three people were taken to the Queen Elizabeth University, Hospital for treatment.
Eyewitnesses reported seeing ambulances, fire engines and cops all scrambling to the scene on the shores of Loch Lomond in the early hours of this morning.
STV reported a family with a baby had to be evacuated from a third-floor window.
John Kirkby – The Sun Glasgow Emergency services rushed to the scene in Scotland’s south John Kirkby – The Sun Glasgow The terrifying blaze is believed to have claimed the life of one person John Kirkby – The Sun Glasgow Smoke was seen billowing into the air from the hotel
Terrifying images of the blaze show smoke billowing into the air as flames can be seen glowing inside the building.
One witness told The Sun the flames from Cameron House were visible from Auchencarroch Landfill Site in Alexandria, Dunbartonshire.
He said: “I’m on a hill five miles away sitting watching it through the binoculars.
“It’s really bad. The flames are very big.
“It looks like the whole lot of the hotel is one fire.
“The smoke is all across the loch and the traffic has been diverted onto the Helensburgh Road.
“The flames are well above the treeline.”
Police said they evacuated more than 200 guests from the building, saying it had been “extensively damaged”.
Cops added: “Officers remain at the scene and are working with other emergency services to establish the exact circumstances of the incident.
“A report will be submitted to the Procurator Fiscal.”
Twitter The blaze ripped through the hotel in the early hours of this morning Dashcam footage shows emergency services tackling fire at Gateway to Wales Hotel in Deeside
A statement on the website of Cameron House Hotel said: “Due to an ongoing incident please be aware that Cameron House will remain closed to arriving guests for at least the next 48 hours.
“We would ask all guests and customers to remain patient as we work with the emergency services to establish the extent of the damage and ascertain when we will be able to re-open.”
It comes after a massive fire ripped through a hotel on the Welsh border, forcing the evacuation of residents and staff about 4.30am.
Dramatic footage posted on Facebook showed the roof of the Gateway To Wales Hotel in Deeside, North Wales, engulfed in flames after the blaze took hold in the early hours of this morning.
The hotel, understood to have around 40 rooms, appears to have been burnt to a shell, according to one witness.
Danny Lawton, who lives in new flats next to the hotel with his girlfriend and baby, said he was woken up by police banging on his door just before 5am.
The 24-year-old machine operator said: “We grabbed the baby and her stuff and headed downstairs, and the car park was already full of people. The heat coming off the fire was immense.
“The whole roof and top floor was on fire and the surrounding area was just full of smoke and flashing blue lights. There was a dozen or more fire trucks and police cars.
“I was told to move my car as quick as I could as the heat would melt it – that’s how close it was.
“As far as I’m aware the fire has been put out and the building has burnt down to just a shell.”
North Wales Fire and Rescue were at the scene, saying they had evacuated the area.